It’s summer here and that means there are a fair amount of yard sales in my local community. It’s like a gold rush of junk and the everyone wants to sell their treasures! I enjoy a good garage sale like the next guy (if that guy happens to be a hoarder). You can find some good tools, cheap books, dangerous toys, out of style clothes, and dead Nana’s ashes.
Perhaps you want to sell your Treasures? Follow my Tips for Huge Garage Sales!
- Get Rid of Your Spouse and Children – You don’t want your sentimental, sappy husband or your whining kids mucking up the sales process with their cries of “But that was my favorite bike” or “I still need that hammer to fix the gate” or “I need that heart medication to survive.”
- Sell High Quality Items – Sure, that is pretty easy right? You know what sells? Your neighbor’s stuff. Like their brand new lawn furniture or their ECHO weed wacker. Or that bratty kid’s bike down the street. Just slip them into our inventory, price them dirt cheap (like your wife’s perfume), and watch the money roll in.
- Advertise Your Yard Sale – Make sure to make a big sign and hot glue it to the neighbor’s car down on the corner. Hey, if he is stupid enough to park his car on the public street, then it can become a good spot for a nice sign to direct traffic to your awesome garage sale.
- Put on Some Music – Have your nephew and his gangsta rap music group have a concert outside. Nothing like a bunch of swear words to get those Buyers itching to buy!
- Selling on a Hot Day? Some would suggest selling lemonade…I would add Vodka and get the sales party started. Everyone knows that liquor helps to loosen up those tight purse strings. And what could go wrong with vodka infused lemonade at 9:32 am?
- Need something for the Husbands to do? Husbands get bored at garage sales. To combat this, start a craps game in the backyard. Everyone loves craps! Remember the longer they are playing, the longer their wives are at the garage sale buying your stuff!
- All Sales Final – Don’t forget to remind your customers that all sales are final. They are stuck with your treasures now!
After those final customers sober up, you can get rid of the reminder items on Craig’s List for FREE!
Do you have some awesome tips or a story to share? Leave them in the comments below!