April 17, 2017
Posted by on
Ah, today is the first day of my daughter’s middle school track practice. Of course, we live in Seattle and it is raining. Oh boy, nothing like being wet and miserable for track practice.
Our family isn’t much for running. My brother completed at the high school date level but he is the only runner in the family. I’m always surprised when my kids went out and joined the track team. It’s a no cut sport so they make the team no matter what.
My daughter has stated she doesn’t like to run, however, she is joining the track team as a show of support for her friend. Kudos to her!
The other nice thing she said: we don’t have to go to any of the track meets! Yes!!!! It is truly an awesome thing to tell your lazy father (little old me) that he isn’t required to go to any track meets. Yippee!
Don’t get me wrong; I enjoy a watching my kids compete in their various sports….as long as it is sunny outside and I’m comfortable. And I don’t mind being in a pleasant indoor, heated arena. You know, sports like volleyball, swimming, basketball.
With my daughter saying I don’t have to attend her track meets, it really means I don’t have to be out in the rain, in the wind, or in the typical miserable spring weather we have in the Puget Sound area. It also mean I avoid sitting on an uncomfortable outdoor metal bench and watch my daughter run in the forementioned miserable weather. Instead, I can sit on my big butt on the couch and watch afternoon talk shows and order a pizza via my smartphone. Heck, I might even have a hot cocoa and flip on my gas fireplace while I stare out my living room, watching the rain pour or drizzle down.
Thanks again daughter for giving me a get out of track jail free card! I will truly enjoy staying home and not watching you not run.
April 14, 2017
Posted by on
It’s Spring Break here in our house and my daughter has spent the past week in Washington D.C. with her school group. She’s an 8th grader and has really enjoyed the trip. The tour is organized by one of the teachers that seems to love to take a group of 8th graders every year back to D. C. and do a whirlwind tour.
Only two kids have been lost. Both of them were boys and both of them had their mothers as their mini-tour group leader. It looks like those helicopter moms left someone behind. That goodness they don’t work in the military. I can’t wait to hear the whole story and then to hear their (Mom’s) version of the incident. Of course, after I heard the stories from my daughter, I really wanted to text the moms about what happen…but I didn’t. I didn’t even post a question on Facebook about how they managed to lose their own kid. They shall remain nameless.
Have a great weekend. Don’t eat too many French fries!
April 4, 2017
Posted by on
I sometimes worry myself about how I can even figure this stuff out…..
Ok, maybe you just can’t handle the whole “owing a house or renting an apartment” thing. Maybe you are more suited to living in your car or in a shipping crate by the railroad tracks. Perhaps that is more of your housing style, however, what will you do about showers, laundry, and sleeping arrangements?
Not to worry dear readers, my worthless advice about “How to Be Homeless” will give you all the awesome advice (or perhaps worthless advice) you need to be successful as a homeless person.
In addition, my tips will allow you to save money and become a success in your personal and professional life. Remember, homeless doesn’t mean you are jobless! And homeless doesn’t mean not having a vehicle either! It only means you don’t have a home!
Shall we begin?
- Be Clean: Join a 24/7 Fitness Gym with shower facilities that has many locations. A hot shower, free soap and shampoo, free towels, and a shave? And you exercise too? Sign me up!
- Dump Your Garbage. Learn where all the public parks are located at. Free garbage service and access to some interesting bathroom options.
- Learn where all the Starbucks ae located (Just kidding…there is one on every corner).
- Hide right under their Noses: Find Fire Stations or Police Stations to park at. You can certain park your car in the visitor parking lot for a few hours or overnight. Who is going to check?
- Hang out in Plain Sight. Park your Honda right at the Honda dealership or Honda Mechanic’s Garage parking lot. One more care isn’t going to be noticed. Or if you have a white van, put a made up delivery company logo on your van…your van is now a delivery van. Park it in the back of a UPS store. You now look like you below there.
- Enjoy Food: Not having a home means your food budget is now huge! You can eat out all the time or you can eat healthy salads you make in the backseat. Yum!
- Visit relatives/friends during the holidays. Bless them with your presence for two or three nights.
- Find locations off the beaten path that offer free power. Invest in a long extension cord from that rest stop bathroom to your car.
- Find 24 hour Laundromats. Do laundry, drink beer, and watch TV. Everyone wins here!
- Find 24 hour Businesses. You can park in their parking lot and they will never know. People are always coming and going and your car will look like an employee’s car.
- Get a Post Office Box for your mail. But ideally, pay everything online. Have auto deposit and auto pay systems set up.
Enjoy these eleven awesome “How to be Homeless Tips!” Remember, you don’t have to let society dictate to you on how to live your life! You can still have a nice car or van, be a clean person, have a good job, and be a productive member of society by using my proven system!
Do you have some awesome advice? Well, keep it to yourself. We want only worthless and sarcastic comments below. Hmm, maybe you can add a few tips…go ahead…comment below and hit the “Like” button too.
March 25, 2017
Posted by on
With Spring officially here, it’s time to tidy up the yard after winter. So for the past several weeks, I’ve cut down a cherry tree, trim back my huge rhododendrons, and hacked back my bamboo hedge. Needless to say, I’ve filled my green waster bin, my neighbor’s green waste bin, and about four extra garbage cans full of yard debris.
We still need to do a few more yard tasks. In the next few weeks, we need to clean out the pool, mow my lawn (I’ll ask my son Hayden to do that and it will take probably three weeks of nagging for him to do it), and do some weeding.
As I’m out in my yard working…you can enjoy a mint and my misery.
March 16, 2017
Posted by on
Yippee! It is St. Patrick’s Day, the day second only to Halloween for a day where you can get drunk, dress in a bad costume, and act like a fool! Well, to be clear….I usually make a fool out of myself on Valentine’s Day and National Hot Tub Day (why isn’t National Hot Tub Day a Federal Holiday yet?). However, back to the point of this worthless advice blog…St. Patrick’s Day. In the good old United States of America, we all become Irish on St. Patrick’s Day (March 17).
Lucky for you, I’m part Irish so I can offer my three blog readers and my imaginary stalker Cyndi (who wears sunglasses on the darkest, winter, overcast days) great advice on St. Patrick’s Day.
Tips to be the Best Fake Irish Person You Can Be:
- Randomly yell “Kill the Leprechaun” when you are out at the bar, drinking with your non-Irish friends. Wear a green wig…everyone likes people that wear wigs.
- You can also yell “Kill the Leprechaun” at your child’s school. Make sure you have singled out that redhead music teacher (no one likes her anyway).
- Get a Redhead Spouse….just make sure she isn’t the music teacher you just made fun of.
- Make EVERYTHING green…green…green!…make green pancakes…….make green beer…make green cats….
- On St. Patrick’s Day, You should always talk in a stupid “Irish” accent….or a “Scottish” one or an “English” one….no one in America can really can tell the difference anyway. Just say “Top of the Morning!” to everyone.
- Wear cheap plastic shamrock necklaces. Everyone likes it when the “Made In China” necklace breaks, and those stupid beads and shamrocks are all over the floor, making you slip and fall.
- Wear your green throng underwear (I’m talking to you gentleman readers. Ladies, you can wear whatever you like). Heck, ladies you can even enter a St. Patrick’s Day bikini contest! Nothing puts the “Saint” back into St. Patrick’s Day like a visit to a bar in a bikini! Click on this link for a Bikini bar video!
- Drink Irish whiskey…or wine…green beer…or whatever…it doesn’t matter…just be that annoying douche bag who drinks too much. Kind of like how you are every other day of the year, annoying…and drunk…but really just annoying.
- Oh, don’t forget to wear something green….like the lettuce you have stuck in your teeth. Nothing like getting your vegetables and sadness all in one day.
But you know something that rocks on St. Patrick’s Day? This Lego video!
And if you just need to mellow out…enjoy this video!
You wasted your St. Patrick’s Day reading this blog, but at least you helped me get my readership numbers up. And be happy that I didn’t make this post into a history lesson. Leave me a comment or a link to a funny cat video. Please, and write in an Irish accent…
One more video…
February 10, 2017
Posted by on
Everyone once and a while, I get out of my cave and have a nice evening out. This to could be to a friend’s house for dinner, maybe a show, or even a fantastic dinner with my wife. Depending on the season, I will try a new cocktail drink to broaden my otherwise quite dull drinking range.
And when I do that, I might come across a new “signature drink” I’ll try for the season. A couple of winters ago, it was the Candy Cane Martini. During an early summer fundraising party, my friend Mark made amazing Lemon Drops for the attendees and that became a summer favorite. Vodka Lemonades remind me of camping on the Columbia River at Lincoln Rock State Park with friends and family, so those were popular one summer.
However, my “go to” drink is the Manhattan. Easy to make and not too difficult to master. And one of my favorites because it reminds me of my cousin Stephen and New York City. (Here’s the point when you should be hearing some sappy music and a tear should come to your eye as I take you down my memory lane….)
What is your “Signature Cocktail Drink”? What one drink can you make and be know for? Does it bring you back to a certain time or memory?